Tuesday 8 October 2013

Oven baked Frittata


Occasionally I find a kitchen utensil that inspires a new dish; finding this lurid green silicone "thing" was such an occasion. I imagine its original purpose was to bake cakes in, but for me I thought it would be ideal for making a frittata.



A Frittata is essentially an egg dish, more closely related to the Spanish Tortilla Española, than the French Omelette. Fritatta can make a fine addition to any picnic, equally good (better in my opinion) served at room temperature. It becomes the obvious choice when faced with a glut of eggs (mine are still going strong) and some left over cooked vegetables. For this frittata I used some cooked green beans, potatoes and I added some sliced red peppers which I simply fried for a couple of minutes.

For this recipe you will need;
7 Eggs
4oog of cooked vegetables
250g of ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)

Prepare a cake tin, I used a 21cm square silicone one which I now think of as my frittata pan, by brushing lightly with oil. heat the oven to 180C. Whisk the eggs, ricotta and seasoning until smooth and amalgamated.  Add the cooked vegetables, cut into small sized pieces to the eggs and transfer to whatever vessel you are using to bake the frittata in. Place in the oven and bake until the centre still shows a slight wobble only, about 35 to 45 minutes. Leave for 5 minutes in the pan before tipping out onto a board and cutting up to serve, or until completely cold if you are taking it on a picnic.

Thank you
Notes:
You can easily vary the ingredients in this frittata; however in order to maintain a consistency that holds together when cut cold, don't use more soft cheese than 250g in proportion to 7 eggs.
As Sue says, always put a silicon container on a metal tray when placing in the oven to avoid spillage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.