Wednesday 30 January 2013

Black Bean Hummus

Following the success of the black bean soup, click here for recipe I soaked and cooked another batch of black beans, but then when it came to using them I decided to try them in hummus, using them in place of chickpeas. I mentioned this to my daughter Hedd, who suggested that I should try cooking the garlic gently in olive oil as they do in Brazil so that's exactly what I did. Another gluten free recipe dedicated to my friend Julia.




You will need:
600g of soaked and cooked black beans
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of tahini
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt.
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced

Begin by cooking the garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Cook over a very gentle heat in order to avoid burning them and causing the garlic to become bitter. When the garlic is a pale golden brown, lift out of the oil and place in a food processor with a tablespoon or so of the cooked beans and blend until the garlic is pureed. I made the mistake of not draining the beans sufficiently and the end result was a softer hummus than I would normally make. Add the remaining beans, tahini and seasoning and blend until smooth. Finally add most of the oil that the garlic has been cooked in, reserving a little to trickle on top when serving. Serve with crusty bread or the crackers I make for cheese click here for recipe .

Hedd knitted this little picture of Poppy and the white yarn is actually Poppy fur which I spun.


Notes; I believe a hummus type dip or spread can be made from pretty much any pulse, It's good however to find a way of bringing different flavours to each without masking the flavour of the original bean. Having allowed this hummus to end up wetter and softer than I would like, I avoided using any extra liquid but I think I would try adding orange the next time I make this. Green hummus using broad beans and peas works particularly well and benefits from adding fresh mint leaves.

2 comments:

  1. I am doing a lot of experimenting with bean dishes at the moment. Aside from lost of soup experiments I am making all sorts of hummus. It isn't easy to get hold of black beans here in Tasmania but on our next shopping trip into Launceston we will check all of the healthfood shops to see if we can't find some. I am growing borlotti beans and yin/yang beans and will try making hummus from them fresh picked. Cheers for another great recipe and cheers to Hedd for the garlic hint. Love the dog wool in the little square :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, I'm pretty certain the black beans I'm currently using are called black turtle beans but there are others, in particular the black beans they use in Brazil for Feijoada. I grew yin yang beans a year or two ago, they really do look artificially coloured but of course are totally genuine. Happy cooking, Tôbi

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.